My scripts won't compile! Why?
There are various possible reasons why your plotscripts might not compile. To figure out what the problem is, you have to be able to answer the question: what happens when you try?
Do you see an error message when you try to compile your script? What does the error message say?
Ask about it on the forums. Copy and paste the error message, or take a screenshot of it.
HSPEAK.EXE is the plotscript compiler. Errors that appear as white (or colored) text on a black command prompt window are most likely compiler errors.
- No data to compile
- Expected number but found ___
- Expected top-level declaration but found ___
- Unrecognised name ___. It has not been defined as script, constant, variable, or anything else
- I can't compile my script because it says that I haven't defined a standard command!
- Expected name but defineoperator block ended
- script ___ is missing end or )
- Script error! Failed to unlump (scriptid).hsx
- ERROR: file plotscr.hsd not found
HssEd is a script editor and front-end for HSPEAK. It is optional. You can write and compile scripts without using it.
If you encounter an error message that is not listed here, feel free to add it to the list so a plotscripting guru can explain why it happens.